Dr. Edward Dudley Tibbits established Hoosac School to provide an intimate, highly personalized educational setting in which each student could receive individualized attention and support.
Today, the School's essential mission remains true to its founder's philosophy: to develop the character, spirit, mind, and body of its students, to foster independence and self-discipline, and to motivate them to develop to their full potential for success in college and for full, productive, and intelligent lives. Founded as an Episcopal church school for boys, Hoosac today retains its ties to the church through the Chapel program while welcoming young men and women from many religious backgrounds. Students and faculty pledge to conduct themselves according to the School's Code of Honor.
Hoosac School is a nonprofit corporation governed by a Board of Trustees. It is chartered by the New York State Board of Regents and accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools. Many of the 1700 living graduates support the School through the Annual Giving. Eight alumni currently serve on the Board of Trustees.
George Tibbits commenced his career in dry goods business and became a wealthy, powerful citizen of Troy and served in political office.
George Tibbits, founder of the Tibbits fortune, purchased ”White House Manor” in Dutch Hoosac, which was passed down to George M. Tibbits, his eldest son.
George M. Tibbits built a brick house on a hill over looking the “Hoosic Valley,” later incorporated into the stone mansion built in 1860.
First recorded Episcopal service in the “Old Schoolhouse” at junction of Rts. 7 & 22. Services x10 years by vestryman George M. Tibbits. No services 1861-1865.
Construction on the Mansion House started by George M. Tibbits and later remodeled by his son, LeGrand Tibbits, into the stone Gothic castle known as the “Finest Mansion in the Hoosac Valley of the Mingling Waters.”
George M. Tibbits began construction on the All Saints Chapel building.
The Sacring Bell of All Saints Church, cast in 1578, was purchased by the Tibbits family in Munich, Germany.
John B. Tibbits was ordained and made head of services in Hoosick.
All Saints Chapel was completed when the medieval peal of bells, purchased in 1867 by Mrs. George M. Tibbits, was hung in the tower; George M. Tibbits dedicated the tower to her memory.
George M. Tibbits passes away; his son, John Tibbits, assumes ownership of all church properties.
On September 27, the Rev. Edward D. Tibbits, ordained in 1885, established the All Saints Choir School. Eight boys enrolled and lived in the Rectory. Later in 1889 it became the Hoosac School for Boys. Edward Tibbits remained Rector until his death.
First performance of the Boar’s Head and Yule Log celebration.
The Red House, a former tavern from Bovie Farm, was used as a dormitory.
The Old Squealery was built by John B. Tibbits as a surprise for his son and later turned into a library.
Nineteen boys are enrolled in Hoosac School for Boys.
Willis College was converted to a dormitory.
A Master’s apartment was added to the Old Squealery.
LeGrand Cannon Tibbits became the sole owner of the Mansion House
Hoosac was incorporated under Business or School Corporation Law.
The Meeting house was converted into schoolhouse.
Dr. Edward D. Tibbits purchased the Armstrong Store and Home.
The Owl Spring property was gifted to the school by Cebra Quackenbush.
Trinity College conferred a Doctor of Letters upon Dr. Edward D. Tibbits.
Funds raised for a new gymnasium; $1200 raised, end cost $6000, paid out of pocket by the Rector.
Doctor of Divinity conferred upon Dr. Tibbits by Williams College.
Enrollment is up to 72.
Charter granted to Hoosac School for elementary and secondary instruction of young men.
Mr. Julian G. Hillhouse, Headmaster until 1930.
Rev. Dr. Edward D. Tibbits passed away.
Rev. James L. Whitcomb, Headmaster until 1941.
Gym lost to fire.
First Asado Day.
LeGrand C. Tibbits passed away.
Rectory and Holly Dome lost to fire.
Rev. Meredith B. Wood, Headmaster until 1957.
The Tunesmiths choir was founded.
The Mansion House was renovated and 15 boys moved in.
Hoosac School moved to the Mansion Estate, where it still is today.
Dr. Roger G. Cooley, Headmaster until 1961.
Rev. Clinton H. Blake, Headmaster/Rector until 1966.
Mr. Donn D. Wright, Headmaster until 1971.
Pitt Mason dormitory built.
Lavino dormitory built.
First Middle States Accreditation.
Blake Science Center built.
Cannon House Built.
First female students admitted.
Mr. H. Ashton Crosby, Headmaster until 1976.
Mr. James P. Beckford, Headmaster until 1981.
The "Tibbits House" Mansion was placed on the National Registry of Historic Places.
The old "Stone Schoolhouse" and surrounding land on the far side of Rt. 22 was sold.
Mr. Samuel Greene, Headmaster until 1984.
The George E. Lavino Trust was established.
Mr. Donn D. Wright, returned as Headmaster until 1990.
Plaque placed in Memorial Hall to honor ten trustees who "risked much" to preserve the school.
Dana B. Wotkyns '18 gives bequest of over $500,000, presented by Edward Pattison '49.
First issue of Hoosac Today.
Sports Complex built thanks to bequest from Dana B. Wotkyns '18; dedicated to Coach Harry H. Dickie.
Centennial Bell Tower built by alumni.
Centennial Celebration; Will Moses donated painting of Hoosac.
McCullough House built and named in honor of Edith McCullough.
Trustees created the Wotkyns Society for bequests, in honor of Dana B. Wotkyns '18.
Mr. Richard J. Lomuscio, Headmaster until 2011.
Dedication of a plaque honoring those Hoosac men who served in the World Wars.
Hoosac became a chartered member of the National Honor Society.
New Tennis Courts gifted by Louis B. Hagar Jr. '74 in honor of his class.
First computer lab added to library.
The Reverend Meredith B. Wood Foundation scholarship fund initiated.
Five new classrooms added to Blake Science Center.
Hoosac's boys varsity hockey team made it to the New England Preparatory School Athletic Council (NEPSAC) finals.
Theater added to Lowenfish Auditorium.
Bell Tower rebuilt by Edward Norton '72 and John Millar '64.
Hoosac boys varsity hockey team wins NEPSAC championship.
New track gifted in memory of George Sedgwick III '63.
Old Barn remodeled into woodshop; $30,000 raised, with matching grant from the E. E. Ford Foundation.
Greenhouse added to Blake; $10,000 raised with matching grant from Benedict Foundation for Independent Schools.
New Observatory "Galactica" gifted by the proctor family.
Mr. Dean S. Foster, Current Headmaster.
New slate roof for Tibbits Hall provided by an anonymous gift of $165,000 in memory of Daniel Francis Verdery '68.
Owl Society initiated.
"Richard J. Phair, Class of '43" Fitness Center gifted by alumni & parents.
Hoosac boys varsity basketball team wins Class D NEPSAC championship.
First ELL lab gifted by international parents.
Hoosac boys varsity basketball team repeats as Class D NEPSAC champions.
Day student lounge created by parent volunteers.
Memorial Garden dedicated to members of the Hoosac community who served in all wars.
Tibbits Common Room renovated thanks to parent donations.
New school store opened.
Girls varsity ice hockey begins. Bill Ward is hired as head coach.
Boys varsity lacrosse wins Division III NEPSAC championship.
A brand new hardwood basketball court is installed in honor of Athletic Director Michael Ryan's 30 years of service (Coach Ryan Court).
Highest total enrollment (194), female enrollment (52), and most diverse student population (31 countries, 10 U.S. states) in school history.
Towne Hall, Hoosac's 10th dormitory, is built.